Sunday, June 5, 2011

TR4: Virtual Insanity 5K: Race one, Therapy

I planned on running this morning early to avoid heat and it is my little man's big day, he is TWO!!  Today he woke me up at 5:50, a half hour earlier than normal, when I planned on taking him for a birthday run...but he sweetly fell back asleep until 7:00am, which allowed Mommy a solitary run, that I needed so bad.

The time resonated with me, reminding me why I started running (a MOD benefitting race) and also as the time I would wake up in the morning at the hospital for a blood draw, morning monitoring, and attempting to get a clean catch of amniotic fluid to determine the maturity of his lungs.  He was born at 5:05pm so the numbers were significant as well.  We all fondly remember the birth of our children, but when you have a preemie, it is a bittersweet memory plagued with PTSD type memories of the whole situation.

I had been on bedrest for six weeks at the hospital when he was born by emergency c-section, about an hour after I noticed it wasn't just amniotic fluid I was leaking, it was blood.  So today, I am reminded of the mantra and slogan Rhonda came up with, "the NICU made me crazy, Running is my therapy"  And I really needed some therapy this morning on the bittersweet day of his birth.

Not to mention, I had a PR.  34 minutes for 3.8 miles, which put me at under 9 minutes for each mile.  But as I said, today was about therapy and mental cleansing, not time.

http://runkeeper.com/user/clyoungsey/activity/38194846

1 comment: