Tuesday, January 25, 2011

TR11/CT or 2: I choose 2

So yesterday I bought my new shoes.  I am the proud owner of these:

Attractive?  Not so much.  Comfortable?  AMAZING.  Not to mention that I actually felt them working on my problem.  I wanted the pink ones, as they would have matched my pink heart running laces...but as I learned, functionality over style.  So now I will be mismatching, but who cares.

So I spent about 1.5 miles doing my homework.  My homework was to determine my cadence (number of foot strikes per minute which in "good form running" they set the goal of 180) and then shoot for 10-15% more.  My short little legs produced a cadence of about 160.  When I bumped it to 180, I seriously felt like I was running lightly as opposed to pounding.  (if you google this, it would suggest that meant I was runing at 8.8 mph....not so, nice and steady at 5mph, but short quick strides that make it harder to overpronate and heel strike)  So it was quite the eye-opening expereince.  Also noted was that you can search for songs by cadence (thanks google) so that you can keep on track easier than counting footstrikes like I did.   Note to self, I will be adding some Nickleback to my playlists...

So, the running report, cautiously optimistic.  I need to do some stretching...



1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I'm glad it was a good run. I'll have to look into the cadence thing and count mine sometime. I think I naturally do shorter quicker steps anyway but I would be neat to actually check.

    I've got some songs i'm trying to burn to a cd for you in mp3 format but it's taking me a little longer than anticipated to get them converted, so hopefully those and another item will get boxed up and sent to you later this week.

    ReplyDelete