Tuesday, July 5, 2011

TR16: Firecracker 5 Miler

Just another training run...ummm, NOT.  That was the attitude that I had going into the race.  I was treating it as a training run.  I was going to use the JG program...even in a race.  I was going to do my own thing and have fun with it.  It's just a small town 4th of July tradition...when I looked around there were another almost 400 people around me, I realized, not just another training run!

I was a little intimidated because I was one of about 3 people that I saw with a hydration belt on...I said oh well, "I was going to do my own thing and have fun with it."  At mile 3 when I saw two guys, more avid runners than I, doubled over with medical attention, I was like, yep...glad I have it.  I was also intimidated because there were so many "obvious" runners.  I don't really look like a runner.  But it was good.  Doing my own thing.



Here is the route:

http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=125868

They had timers at mile 2, 3, and 4.  Mile 2 split 18:something, Mile 3 medical emergency, Mile 4 38: something, Mile 5, finish 48:47 chip time (49:37 with starting lag).

As I said I used the JG plan.  Seeing it in a race made me see the value of it.  I explained it to my husband as this:  "with it, I beat "faster" runners."  I would pass them, they would pass me on the walk and this went on about 2-3 times (12 minutes) then they never passed me back.  I was able to pace my runs with men, who typically run faster than women.  I was able to run at fastest part of my runs 7.5+ mph at the slowest 6.5ish.  Both of these are faster than when I run 5 miles straight.  I usually average 6.2mph on a 5 mile run.

Was I the fastest out there?  Nope, but when I crossed the finish line and saw a sub 50:00 I was STOKED!  I literally came around the corner where I could first see it and said "holy crap"

268   312 Christi Young           36   F Vicksburg       MI   49:37   48:47  9:46

On other notes, I am sore as hell, my quads are screaming at me :)

1 comment: